Register for STARSkate
If you joined us for our STARSkate program last season, welcome back! If this is your first time registering for SMSC's STARSkate, welcome!
This page will take you through how to register for STARSkate.
First, some details about our Fall/Winter 2019-2020 season:
- The City of Mississauga sets ice rental rates for their facilities, which includes Meadowvale 4 Rinks. The City usually increases ice rental fees annually, and this slight increase will be reflected in our session fees.
- Our Club has now fully implemented the STAR 1 – 5 program introduced by Skate Canada. This program fosters the tenets of Long Term Athlete Development and promotes the Skate For Life principles. Information on how our Club implements the Assessments is available on our Star 1 - 5 Program Assessments page.
- Mandatory Fundraising of $50.00 per family will continue to support our club. Also, families are still responsible for fulfilling their mandatory 5 hours of volunteer services or be charged $250 at end of the season. There will be other Fundraising activities in the club throughout the season, and we encourage all of our STARSkate families to participate in those as much as possible.
- This season, we are introducing a new discount structure for our STARSkate members. We will apply a 5.0%, 7.5%, 10.0%, 12.5%, 15.0%, 17.5%, 20.0%, 22.5% or 25% discount on on-ice and off-ice programs to single registrations where program fees (admin fee, Skate Canada membership, fundraising fee and volunteer buyout cost are not included) exceed $3,000, $4,000, $5,000, $6,000, $7,000, $8,000, $9,000. $10,000 and $11,000 respectively. To qualify, registrations must be completed before the start of the season, the registration amounts must appear on a single invoice (invoices cannot be combined), and there will be no adjustments made to invoices after the fact to apply the discount. Please check out the StarSkate/Competitive Schedule page for full details of the discounts.
- Karen Hornsby continues to fill the role of Member Services Administrator. She will be available at the rink to answer SMSC member questions and address any concerns during regular office hours.
- Our Fall 2019-2020 office hours begin on Monday September 9 and Karen, our Member Services Administrator, will be available in the SMSC Office inside Rink 3 as follows: Mondays — 6:30 to 7:30 pm; Wednesdays — 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm; Thursdays — 6:15 to 7:15 pm; Saturdays — 10:45 am to 12 noon. As always, if you can’t get to the rink and you need assistance outside of regular office hours, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now, how to register:
Online Registration for Fall
If you are returning to our club BE SURE to use your original login information to register. All of your skater's Skate Canada Tests that are required for skater qualification for skating levels have been recorded within your previous login information. If you cannot remember your password, please use the Forget Password Page to retrieve your password.
NOTE: Items in your cart will be highlighted as a warning/error if you have not met the minimum registration requirements, which may mean adding additional sessions to your shopping cart. Just continue with your registration, add all the on-ice and/or off-ice sessions you need and then go to your shopping cart to checkout.
If you are having difficulties with registration, please first check our STARSkate Registration FAQ for additional tips on what may be causing the issue.
If this does not resolve your issue, please use the Contact Us page with details on your original login and the errors you are receiving.
Confirm your planned sessions with your coach
Registrations for STARSkate must include at least TWO on-ice sessions.
Ensure your STARSkater meets the skating requirements for their session
Please note, our system will not permit you to register your skater for sessions of a higher category than your skater's qualifications. Please feel free the check that your skater's tests have been appropriately recorded in our system by checking your account and checking your skater's achievements. More information on how to do this can be found on our STARSkate Registration FAQ.
Consider what your volunteering commitment will be:
Our club's operations and administration relies almost entirely through the efforts of SMSC volunteers. As in past seasons, we will require all STARSkater families to contribute to the operation of our club through a mandatory volunteering program.
Volunteering: A parent is asked to make at least a 5-hour commitment at some point during the skating season by May 30. There are a wide variety of options, dates and times, including volunteering at test days, Ice Show or other activities throughout the season. For a more detailed listing of possible volunteer opportunities, please click here.
To ensure and track participation, at time of registration, a volunteering buy-out charge will apply to your registration. Once you complete your volunteer activity, it should be reported to the Volunteer Coordinator (email@example.com) and the $250 volunteer charge will be waived. Here is how the volunteering buy-out charge would apply depending on how you pay for your registration:
If you pay your registration in full at the beginning of the season by credit card, your credit card will be charged $250 and then reimbursed as soon as you submit your confirmation of having completed your volunteering shift. Please note that SMSC cannot credit back the $250 amount to your credit card account but will instead create a $250 credit to your SMSC account.
If you pay your registration in full at the beginning of the season by cheque, you can provide a cheque post-dated for $250 to May 30, 2020; it will only be cashed if you do not provide confirmation of having completed your volunteering shift.
If you pay your registration by installments, the instalment payment will be displayed for May 30, 2020 for either your credit card or cheque. The credit card payment will be removed or the cheque will be returned once you have reported your commitment to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Confirm if your skater will be a CanSkate PA or Helper (Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays):
Program Assistants (PA): Skater must be 12 years or older, and must have passed the Preliminary Free Skate / Star 3 Free Skate Program.
Program Helpers: Must be at least 10 years old.
Our highly successful CanSkate program could not run without our dedicated PAs and Helpers. Skaters learn valuable leadership skills and high school students who participate receive credit for community hours.
You can register for your CanSkate sessions online during your registration process. During Registration, select “Canskate PAs” when filtering for your sessions and you will be able to select the appropriate sessions from there.
Mandatory training: Saturday, September 28 at 11 am. Training is both on-ice and off-ice. Once registered as either PA or Helper, you will be contacted with further information.
Decide how you will make your payment
Payments can be made via Visa, Mastercard or offline by cheque.
Credits: If you have credits from previous seasons, credit will automatically appear on your account at the time of registration. Please select the check box on the Use Available Credit section to apply your credits to the invoice.
Payment plan: Payments for the regular Fall/Winter programs may be split as follows 40% on registration, 20% on October 6, 2019, 20% on December 6, 2019 and 20% on February 6, 2020. All membership and administrative fees will be charged upon registration. Members choosing to pay by credit card will have their card charged automatically on above-mentioned dates. Post-dated cheques are required from members not paying by credit card. Registrations are not complete until all post-dated cheques have been received; skaters will not be permitted on the ice.
Be sure to review the STARSkate Fees, Policies & Refunds page