CanSkate Fees, Policies & Refund Information
CanSkate (ages 5 - 14) and Pre-CanSkate (age 4) were developed by experts to teach the fundamentals of skating in a progressive and sequential manner. It provides a solid background for all ice sports and is suitable for new skaters as well as those with some experience. It is the feeder program to all other Skate Canada programs. After CanSkate, skaters can move into the STARSkate program where they receive private instruction in freeskate, dance, stroking, and skills.
By registering online all skaters/parents agree to all SMSC policies, Skater’s Code of Conduct and Athlete’s Release as outlined in the online waiver prior to registration.
Schedule is subject to revision based on skater registration should the SMSC Board of Directors deem necessary. SMSC cannot guarantee that all sessions will be held at Meadowvale 4 Rinks on Rink 3. Due to maintenance, over booking or other reasons, the City may relocate SMSC to another rink.
- Residency Requirement (as required by the City of Mississauga): The majority of all Participants must reside in Mississauga. There will be an additional fee of $60 for all non-resident members; this fee will be transferred to the City of Mississauga.
- Age requirements: Pre-CanSkate participants must be 4 years old while CanSkate participants must be 5 – 14 years old by September 1, 2022 for our Fall session, by January 1, 2023 for our Winter session and by March 1, 2023 for our Spring session. Skaters registering for our Summer Intensive Camp must be 4 years of age by August 1, 2023.
- Equipment: CSA approved hockey helmets are required until the completion of level 5, helmet cages are strongly recommended for all skaters in level 1. Skaters must wear proper skates and gloves. Equipment is not available to rent, so participants must make arrangements to have equipment by the first session. Participants without appropriate equipment will not be permitted on the ice.
- Supervisor Requirement: SMSC requires that there be an adult responsible for the participant, present in either rink 3 or the lobby during the duration of the class.
- No make-up classes, credits or refunds for missed classes: Skaters sign up for a specific session and cannot be accommodated on another session if they have to miss a day for any reason.
- Cancelled Classes: SMSC cannot make up a class or provide a refund if there is a cancellation due to severe weather or other circumstances beyond the control of SMSC.
- Refund Policy: See details of our refund policy below.
Skate Canada Membership Fees
When you sign up for a skating program at our club, you are required to also become a member of Skate Canada. This annual $44 fee is valid from September 1 to August 31 (you will only pay it once during a season, no matter how many CanSkate or other sessions you register for). It includes insurance coverage, along with access to all Skate Canada programs. Please note that your skater information will be shared with Skate Canada through this website.
This fee does not stay with the club, but is sent on to Skate Canada in Ottawa. For more information about Skate Canada, visit www.skatecanada.ca.
Schedules and Fees
****In addition to the lesson fees, each participant must pay:
- $44 Skate Canada membership fee, payable once per skating season.
- $25 SMFSC membership fee, payable once per skating season
- $60 non-resident fee, payable once per skating season by all non-Mississauga residents
Payment Plan Option: Applicants can choose to either pay the complete fee at registration OR by installment.
- For Fall Session: 50% upon registration and 50% on November 15, 2022
- For Winter Session: 50% upon registration and 50% on February 15, 2023
- For Spring Session: 50% upon registration and 50% on April 15, 2023
Unused credit notes: Previous members with credit notes will have their credits appear on the checkout page just prior to paying by credit card. Select the radio button "Use Available Credit" to apply them to your invoice.
Session fees: will be pro-rated for late registrations on a weekly basis at the completion of each class.
- Refund amounts are based on the date of receipt of written notice, submitted during a CanSkate session or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the skater and parent names, skating day, address, and the reason for withdrawal.
- There is no refund for lessons completed prior to receipt of a written notice, regardless of attendance, or for any lessons that take place within 48 hours after the notification is received.
- All refunds are subject to a $10 processing fee (or $20/family if siblings withdraw at the same time) per session.
- Skate Canada membership fee is non-refundable.
- SMSC Membership fee is non-refundable.
- After the final deadlines, withdrawal credits will only be considered for medical reasons, at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Credit notes, for future classes, are valid for 1 year. The deadlines are:
- Session 1 – October 31, 2022
- Session 2 – January 28, 2023
- Session 3 – May 8, 2023
- Note: Skaters who join after the withdrawal deadlines can withdraw until the end of their second scheduled class. The refund will be the total fee, less fees for 2 lessons already skated and the processing fee.