Register for CanPowerSkate
How to register:
If you are a returning skater:
Please be sure that you use your login from registering in previous years. Your skater's information and records are kept with us to help us track your progress. If you cannot remember your password, please reset your password using our Forget Password page. If you are encountering issues with accessing your account, please use our Contact Us page to get in touch with our administrators so we can verify your account.
SMSC CanPowerSkate Program
CanPowerSkate is an action-packed, high energy instructional power skating program geared to hockey and ringette skaters that focuses on balance, power, agility, speed and endurance. Skills, techniques and conditioning drills are taught in a progressive format that emphasizes how the skills apply to game situations.
CanPowerSkate is geared to skaters aged approximately six or older who already have basic forward and backward skating skills (they must be able to skate the length of the rink using alternate strides) and are able to stop on command without use of the boards. For safety reasons, participants should wear full hockey/ ringette equipment that is CSA approved, hockey sticks are also required. The coach to skater ratio is 1:10.
Skaters who register and don’t qualify (once the coach assesses them on the ice during the 1st class) for the level offered will be required to withdraw and register when a program for their level is available. Please don’t register your skater if they are unable to do the skills required for the level of the program offered. Our Learn to skate program, CanSkate is for skaters needing to improve their basic skating skills. CanPowerSkate is not a learn to skate program.
Ensure your CanPowerSkater meets the skating requirements.
Level 1 - Skaters must be able to push with both feet, skate backwards & forwards and stop independently in at least one direction. Skaters must be able to complete a one foot glide on each foot moving forwards blue line to blue line.
Level 2 – Skaters must have all the skills listed in Level 1 plus have mastered forward crosscuts and glide backwards on one foot (each foot) blue line to blue line.
Level 3 – Skaters must have all the skills listed in Level 2 plus have backwards crosscuts and mohawks.
By registering online all skaters/parents agree to all SMSC policies, Skater’s Code of Conduct and Athlete’s Release as outlined in the online waiver prior to registration.
Schedule is subject to revision based on skater registration should the SMSC Board of Directors deem necessary. SMSC cannot guarantee that all sessions will be held at Meadowvale-4-Rinks on Rink 3. Due to maintenance, over booking or other reasons, the City may relocate SMSC to another rink.
We reserve the right to regroup skaters based on suitability for their skating level.
- Equipment: CSA approved hockey helmets are required, and helmet cages are strongly recommended. Skaters must wear full hockey gear (shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey pants, shin pads, gloves, neck guard) and hockey skates. Mouthguards are recommended but not required. Gear is not available to rent, so participants must make arrangements to have full gear by the first session. Participants without appropriate gear will not be permitted on the ice.
- Supervisor Requirement: SMSC requires that there be an adult responsible for the participant, present in either rink 3 or the lobby during the duration of the class.
- No Make ups for Missed Classes: Skaters sign up for a specific session and cannot be accommodated on another session if they have to miss a day for any reason.
- Cancelled Classes: SMSC cannot make up a class or provide a refund if there is a cancellation due to severe weather or other circumstances beyond the control of SMSC.
- Refund Policy: See details of our refund policy below.
Be sure to review the CanPowerSkate Fees, Policies & Refunds page